[PD] Patch for Akai EWI (was "Reading and writing binary files")

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Wed Mar 9 19:36:20 CET 2011

Hi David,

> I looked at your code, and I think I understand it, more or less. But
> I couldn't see where you're sending the 6-byte NRPN message before and
> after the SysEx message. Isn't it necessary?

No! SysEx doesn't require any NRPN message to get enabled. I have no idea
what the Aria software is sending out but it is definitely not necessary.

There are a lot of strange things with the Garritan / Plogue software.

> I got this information from a web site created by someone who
> reverse-engineered the SysEx messages for the EWI USB:
>
> http://www.ewiusb.com/
>
> According to him, you have to send the '63 01 62 04 06 20' before each
> SysEx, and '63 01 62 04 06 10' after the last one. You're not doing
> that? I haven't tested any of this stuff yet, I'm a little paranoid
> about screwing up my EWI. I can probably recover just by pressing the
> reset button if something goes wrong, but I'd rather not take the
> chance.

I had double checked my information with that website. It turned out that
there are several things that are wrong in this article. I wrote the guy
from ewiusb.com an email and told him about the errors but never got any
answer. He never corrected anything either. It doesn't look like the site is
active anymore.

BTW, you cannot break anything by sending sysex messages to an instrument.
I am using this editor daily with no problem.

I don't know which reason you have to trust one guy more than any other one?

However I did discover an error in the patch this morning when I transferred
a modified version into my hardware machine. "Pitchbend down" doesn't get
restored correctly from the file. So there is a fixed version attached. It
also writes the 6th value of the shorter sysex strings into the file which
was ignored before. Just in case it would have any undocumented (ha, ha, ha)
meaning.

Ingo