[PD] Toughts on PD vs. Max stability on macintels on analogindustries.com

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Mar 10 05:07:59 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> I think I already used the cuisine metaphor here... My Italian genes
> always point me to that... Along the lines of Mathieu's (?) topic in the
> dataflow IRC about ready-made solutions.

« Readymade Solutions Require Readymade Problems; For Everything Else
There Is PureData.™ »

But it also applies to MAX and every other programming language. I said it
in opposition to the kind of audio app (or video app) that gives you a
feature set to which the problem must be fitted (or else, too bad for
you).

Whenever I open any «audio app» other than Pd, all I can see is a bunch of
limitations that is going to prevent me from doing what I want 30 minutes
in the future. But when I say Pd here, it includes MAX.

The choice between Pd and MAX is not what I had in mind when I thought of
the above slogan, and of « The diagram is the program ». In the comparison
between Pd and MAX, I don't think we need slogans nearly as much as we
need more features (even though Pd already offers a lot of unique tools).