[PD] The economics of Open source

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Mar 20 17:36:26 CET 2011

On Mar 20, 2011, at 1:32 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> [...]

I say if anyone wants to sponsor the work of someone, then its really
a matter of who they want to sponsor.  That is fair.  I don't think I
should get a cut if someone else is sponsored to do Pd-related work.

> Actually now that I write that, I'd say that even implementing a _bad_
> funding model regarding Pd isn't such a big deal at this point.  If
> the
> only way for the general public to fund Pd was to donate to a "bug
> squashing fund", it's quite unlikely that enough money would be
> generated
> to create an incentive for corruption.  At most there would be a big
> enough pot to squash a bunch of existing bugs, after which whoever
> is in
> charge of the effort could say, "Hey, we squashed a lot of bugs, now
> let's
> encourage people to donate to other things, too."
>
> -Jonathan

On the idea of a general fund for people to donate too, I thought it
would be nice to have Pd-extended have a donate nag button, and all
that money would go to the next PdCon.  The more money that PdCon
organizers have means the more people they can sponsor to come, the
more events possible, etc.

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom