[PD] type casting for pix_film

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Mar 20 17:52:45 CET 2011

Those particular error messages often return gibberish for the
filename.  I wonder why the error message doesn't use the char*
filename:

       error("Unable to find file: %#s", theFSSpec.name);

Perhaps the functions above don't put data into .name if it can't find
a file.  Anyone object if I change them to use 'filename' instead of
theFSSpec.name?

.hc

On Mar 19, 2011, at 10:42 AM, chris clepper wrote:

> I algorithmically generated and loaded files into pix_film on OSX
> millions and millions of times using 'open $1' without error.  It
> would be helpful to see what your filenames look like.
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 6:46 AM, sonia yuditskaya <marysghost at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Sorry, if I miss-filed the report (never filed one before).
>
> To re-phrase the problem; [pix_film] would neither accept filenames
> with a $1 in them or a %s. In my case [pix_film] has consistently
> accepted filenames relative to the patch's folder, relative to Path
> however I have had no such success. Despite numerous attempts I've
> never been able to compile/download and have form gridflow, so
> cannot check that.
>
> Hope despite the sparseness of detail, this illuminates something in
> someone's experience to draw the problem out? Being able to
> algorithmically recall files through [pix_film] would be a useful
> feature in designing real-time, interactive, video based, systems
> (pick your favorite buzzword ;)
>
> in simulacra we trust,
> ] yuditskaya.com [
>

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Mathieu Bouchard
> <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, sonia yuditskaya wrote:
>
> solved the problem by sending variables to the [seek $1( message in
> the [unauthorized/playlist] object and feeding that to the [open
> $1( of [pix_film] don't why that works and the other one doesn't
> though.
> bug submitted.
>
> I wrote all the details I wrote to you, in your bug report.
>
> BTW, the bug report I wanted to submit was about the error message,
> because that's the problem I know about, and without a good error
> message, it's hard to find whether [pix_film] has any real problem
> with the filename you give it. Thus $1 is not relevant in that bug
> report. But that's no big deal, because I posted all the details.
>
> BTW, doesn't [pix_film] require the full name of the movie ? It
> doesn't seem to be accepting filenames that are relative to the
> patch's folder, nor to the items in the Path's dialogue.
>
> [gf/find_file] finds a file and gives you the full filename. see http://gridflow.ca/
>  for that external.

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste