[PD] Dynamic patching with audio - review

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:48:28 CET 2011

Thanks for the insight into more pd internals, although I think I prefer an
approach that does not heavily rely on public pointers floating around, like
pd_newest (it is funny that it is declared in m_pd.h, but then there is a
comment above its implementation that it is a hack, maybe be removed or
redesigned). I chose to use glob_evalfile because it is the closest method I
can find to opening a patch in the 'normal' way.  By the way, if I call
pd_newest after glob_evalfile(), will it give me a reference to the patch?
 I'd try it out, but I don't have my dev machine at the moment.

About namecanvas, there were two issues that I found when I had a system for
dynamically loading/unloading and linking together patches that contained
audio:

1) DSP had to be shut off and then turned back on once the linking was done.
 Sometimes I wouldn't even get audio out of an object until this happened.

2) closing a patch that had audio receivers containing $ variables via the
menuclose message was unstable, and would sometimes crash pd.

I didn't ever get to the bottom of these issues, but from what I understand,
[namecanvas] doesn't handle deallocation too well.  I lost all this code
anyway, so the new approach I am using for patch maintainence is through
libpd and an object oriented language (objective C at the moment, although I
think I would prefer python for running pd on a laptop/desktop).  It is just
really nice.

Cheers,
Rich