[PD] [PD-announce] pd 0.43-0 released

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Thu Mar 24 08:26:51 CET 2011

Hi Hans,

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [PD] [PD-announce] pd 0.43-0 released
From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
To: Lorenzo Sutton <lsutton at libero.it>
CC: pd-list at iem.at
Date: 23/03/11 19:02

> On Mar 23, 2011, at 5:14 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>
>> Miller, all other devs, contributors etc.
>>
>> Thanks for the new release!
>>
>> Quick feedback from a *very* quick session on Ubuntu 10.04.
>>
>> Compiled and installed with ./configure
>> --prefix=/home/lorenzo/bin/pd-vanilla so this is not a full
>> system-wide install test.
>
> Which ./configure?  The one in pd/ or the one in pd/src/?
The one in ./pd-0.43-0 (the top level) generated by running ./autogen.sh

>> - Everything went well audio works with both alsa and jack. alsa-midi
>> also works.
>> - Maybe due to specifying the PREFIX I don't get the error dmotd gets
>> - Where does pd pick the path for gui-rewrite plugins?
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files
>
>> In my case it seems to search in
>> /home/lorenzo/src/pd-gui-rewrite/startup/ which actually relates to
>> another development version I was messing with.
>
> Perhaps that's from your ~/.pdsettings?
Yes. It's in a pathN (path2) variable. So basically if I understand
correctly gui plugins are treated like externals? That is if I place a
plugin in /foo/bar and that path is in the ~/.pdsettings file it will be
loaded at startup?

>> - As for the aesthetics issues. I'm personally happy with the
>> 'standard' white canvas (fonts seem to be erratic at every install):
>> would it make sense to create a simple configuration file in the form
>> param=value holding the values as in he example Hans provided maybe
>> with simpler-to-read entries (making it up):
>>
>> canvas.bgcolor=#E1E1E1
>> canvas.fgcolor=#000000
>> canvas.fontface='DejaVu Sans Mono'
>> canvas.fontsize=12
>> ui.bgcolor=#D3D3D3
>> ui.fgcolor=#000000
>> ui.fontface='Dejavu Sans'
>> ui.fontsize=12
>
> The Tcl/Tk 'option' command is not far off of the above, and its much
> better documented, and well known by many people, so there are more
> people to ask.  Here's an example:
>
> http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/scripts/guiplugins/simple_examples/gtklook-plugin.tcl?revision=15040&view=markup

Ok, good point, I agree. Probably effort duplication.

Ciao,
Lorenzo.