[PD] Am I alone?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 21:38:41 CET 2011

--- On Thu, 3/24/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Am I alone?
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "ailo" <ailo.at at gmail.com>, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 8:42 PM
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
> > --- On Thu, 3/24/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> wrote:
> >> The "mysterious skill" meaning of art is closer to
> the
> >> original meaning of the word. "Tech" is a greek
> word that
> >> means "Art"... etc. But university artists tend to
> ignore
> >> this use of the word... it's foreign to them.
> Their art-word
> >> is about Duchamp and John Cage and stuff.
> >
> > Your feedback loop seems unnecessarily strict.
> If Romantic period composers found a way to give Mozart an
> honorary membership, surely you can find an inlet for
> something by Cage in your feedback loop.
>
> But what do you know about my feedback loop ?

Well, the evidence offered that university artists tend toward a
particular conception of art is that Duchamp and Cage are found there,
implying that where you find _them_ you find that conception.  So I'd
venture to guess that your feedback loop excludes them-- otherwise you
wouldn't be essentializing them by using their names as broad
opposition to the "mysterious skill".

Cage wrote a lot of different kinds of music.

-Jonathan