[PD] Am I alone?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Mar 24 22:15:26 CET 2011

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Well, the evidence offered that university artists tend toward a
> particular conception of art is that Duchamp and Cage are found there,
> implying that where you find _them_ you find that conception.

Knowing them is one thing, enjoying them is another thing, and venerating
them is yet another thing. I named only two because I'm not making a
master's thesis on the anthropology of the art world.

> So I'd venture to guess that your feedback loop excludes them--
> otherwise you wouldn't be essentializing them by using their names as
> broad opposition to the "mysterious skill".

I don't consider the "mysterious skill" meaning of the "art"-word to be
mine. In fact, I don't consider any use of the word to be mine.

And just because the university artists give a disproportionate amount of
attention to Duchamp/Cage/etc doesn't in itself mean that Duchamp/Cage/etc
are excluded from whoever else's conception of art.