[PD] using pix_artoolkit

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Mar 25 22:34:43 CET 2011

On 03/25/2011 04:16 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> the new GEM build takes 30 minutes on my computer and I have to change

wow, it takes 6min35.635 here, from a fresh checkout to a Gem binary and
all plugins.

> anything in my Gem/src/configure settings and start over, it could take
> hours to get things right, so, I give up.

in my experience, the thing that takes most of the time when building
Gem is running autoreconf.
since i cannot imagine what you would do to re-trigger a full run of
autoreconf, any subsequent builds should be much faster.

e.g. if i do a full "make clean; make" after the initial build, it takes
1m1.918s

if you re-run configure and change some options, only a few files will
be rebuilt. (all those that include config.h, which are about 29 .cpp
files of 597)

> OTOH, I could try [pix_artoolkit] with GEM 92 instead... eventually.

and [pix_artoolkit] has it's own configure script anyhow, so you would
only need to configure and build a single file.
if that takes 30minutes (or hours), then i cannot help you

btw, in a way this reminds me, why i couldn't use GF for ages:
after 5 minutes of compiling, it would freeze my computer.
after changing my motherboard, i was finally able to build it.

fgmasdr
IOhannes