[PD] access to pd table from another application

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Mar 30 15:10:16 CEST 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Billy Stiltner wrote:

> opengl seems to be the most common thing between mac, linux and ms so
> that is probably the best route for graphics.  I had no idea that there
> were keyboard routines in glut. Something prevented me from using glut
> in the past I do not remember what it was.

GLUT absolutely wants to run an infinite loop, otherwise it will not give
you any events. Therefore you can't run it in the same thread as pd's
event loop.

I tried breaking out of the event loop using setjmp/longjmp, just to make
sure all implementations would support that hack, because I didn't want to
use threads. The hack only worked on Linux, so I decided not to work with
GLUT.

> I do not know about GEM and another opengl app coexisting though.

Some months ago, I was told on pd-list that [gemwin] and [pdp_glx] can't
coexist.

> It is awesome to have GEM right there in PD but I'm having difficulty
> translating multiple objects like a 3d pixel space of say 300 x 300 x
> 300 cubes

If you have any pixel structures that don't fit in GEM, there is GridFlow.
Supports up to 15 dimensions (though there's hardly ever a need for more
than 5).