[PD] access to pd table from another application

Billy Stiltner billy.stiltner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 02:00:14 CEST 2011

>> Something prevented me from using glut
>> in the past I do not remember what it was.
>
> GLUT absolutely wants to run an infinite loop, otherwise it will not give
> you any events. Therefore you can't run it in the same thread as pd's
> event loop.

That must have been what kept me from using it as well.

> I tried breaking out of the event loop using setjmp/longjmp, just to make
> sure all implementations would support that hack, because I didn't want to
> use threads. The hack only worked on Linux, so I decided not to work with
> GLUT.

I have dug through my archives and found some programs that might be
of interest to you as a reference for ms style handling of memory and
registers with cpp and  asm.

http://www.geocities.ws/billy_stiltner/code/ASM.zip
That should get your mindframe going in the right direction haha!
It's all 16 bit code though so of no use now besides a reference but
the function pointers and interrupt pointers should still be the same
I'll have to do some studying now.

Allthough with windows XP this worked
http://www.geocities.ws/billy_stiltner/code/DLLTEST.zip

Here's you something to make the dos shell look more like an old linux
 terminal haha!
http://www.geocities.ws/billy_stiltner/code/FONT.zip

And here is my 3d fractal. It is not correct it is using this for the
orbits which is pretty and more like what I would imagine a 3d fractal
looking like instead of a hypercomplex, quaternion, mandelcube or
bulb..

newx = ((x * x) - (y * y) - (z *z)) +k;
   newy = ((y *x) + (x *y)) +l;
   newz = ((z * x) + (x * z)) +m;

This is what I need to know how to do for the fractal for correct math
but noone seems o know how to do complex numbers in 3d. Maybe someone
on the list can shed me some light on the subject.

/*
a: [x1,y1,z1]
b: [x2,y2,z2]

a*b=(y1 * z2 - z1 * y2)i + (x1 * z2 - z1 * x2)j + (x1 * y2 - y1 * x2)k

*/
here's the link to the code. the exe runs on vista and xp.
http://www.geocities.ws/billy_stiltner/code/fractal.zip
http://www.geocities.ws/billy_stiltner/code/website.zip

website.zip contains documentation sucha as keycommands.
It is awesome to view a transparent 3d fractal rotating and colorcycling.
I would love to do this with GEM. Any tips on achieving that would be wonderful.

>> I do not know about GEM and another opengl app coexisting though.
>
> Some months ago, I was told on pd-list that [gemwin] and [pdp_glx] can't
> coexist.

That is no good I will have to do what I need in an external for PD
but am still looking into
netsend and netreceive. I did find a library
http://stephengware.com/proj/javasocketbridge/
that works to connect but am studying cross browser DOM to get my code
to send messages. It's not the same as it used to be.Hopefully I can
write my own socket thing in JAVA to have a browser interface to pd.
This is still not good for files and saving presets so a JAVA file
server will have to be written as well.  I was able from a cmd prompt
and an MSYS shell to both pdsend and pdreceive. pretty cool another
option for  external application interface.

> If you have any pixel structures that don't fit in GEM, there is GridFlow.
> Supports up to 15 dimensions (though there's hardly ever a need for more
> than 5).

> | Mathieu Bouchard ---- tél: +1.514.383.3801 ---- Villeray, Montréal, QC

I will look into it. see above link for opengl program fractal.zip I'm
trying to implement.

A comedy cartoon I done that has a mention of 5 dimensions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUTn-rie8w

Come on E16 haha!

Thanks for the response it it has triggered some sparks. Now I must
get to studying and patching. I wonder if my drum machine will ever be
finished now.