[PD] access to pd table from another application

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Mar 31 20:15:43 CEST 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 03/31/2011 02:00 AM, Billy Stiltner wrote:
>>> GLUT absolutely wants to run an infinite loop, otherwise it will not give
>>> you any events. Therefore you can't run it in the same thread as pd's
>>> event loop.
>> That must have been what kept me from using it as well.
> though it's not true.
> you can run the glut loop yourself (e.g. Gem/src/Output/gemglutwindow.cpp)

glutMainLoopEvent is Linux-only.

glutCheckLoop is OSX-only.

thus neither exists on Win32.

the GLUT 3 standard does not have anything for that.

much of the point of GLUT is so that GL-application writers have a
portable layer.

there has to be reasons why Gem/src/Output also contains
gemcocoawindow.mm, gemglxwindow.cpp, gemmacwindow.cpp and
gemw32window.cpp.

thus it's quite simplistic to say "it's not true".