[PD] access to pd table from another application

Billy Stiltner billy.stiltner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 05:23:48 CEST 2011

On 3/31/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
>>> That must have been what kept me from using it as well.
>> though it's not true.
>> you can run the glut loop yourself (e.g. Gem/src/Output/gemglutwindow.cpp)
>
> glutMainLoopEvent is Linux-only.
>
> glutCheckLoop is OSX-only.
>
> thus neither exists on Win32.
>
> the GLUT 3 standard does not have anything for that.
>
> much of the point of GLUT is so that GL-application writers have a
> portable layer.
>
> there has to be reasons why Gem/src/Output also contains
> gemcocoawindow.mm, gemglxwindow.cpp, gemmacwindow.cpp and
> gemw32window.cpp.
>
> thus it's quite simplistic to say "it's not true".
>
>   _______________________________________________________________________
> | Mathieu Bouchard ---- tél: +1.514.383.3801 ---- Villeray, Montréal, QC

Mathieu you might want to check this out
http://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/software/freeglut-devel/
says he has dlls compiled that are compatible with both mingw and vc++.

There is no mention in the freeglut api reference about eventloop
being linux and mac only.

IOhannes, thanks for pointing that out. I guess what I should do is
just look at how glut manages the keyboard and mouse on all 3
platforms.

The GEM sourcecode I have is from L2ork I'm not sure if it has been
modified or not. I'll have to download the actual GEM source. Is there
a difference between GEM that comes with pd extended and GEM from the
main source?

I have had success with the javasocketbridge establishing a connection
to pd and sending messages through tcp from firefox. the problem is
that the page reloads if I hit a form button to send a second message
and erases all the information in the form. The original html did not
have the form buttons wrapped in a <form></form> object so i will try
removing the <form></form> Maybe with html5 a canvas would be
preferred over form elements anyways.
I do get a dialog that looks like it is respawning the
javasocketbridge class when the button is hit. which did not happen
before I added the form wrapper. The button i not a submit button
either. But it is good news that this works. I am uncertain though how
to get netsend to send data to the javasocketbridge once it is
connected to the netreceive object in pd. javasocketbridge only allows
one connection at a time.