[PD] Data Structures GOP and installing latest PD

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:49:09 CEST 2011

> If you set the canvas size to 1,1 the subpatch shows up about the same
> size as the default array canvas size. I done some experimenting with

ah yes, that makes sense. since I only use the structures in the gop, I
never cared about searching it better.

> setting gop with pd-pdsubpatch and not donecanvasdialog but the other
> message with fewer arguments. Couldn't you just send the canvas a
> message to tell it whether it is a text atom or a graph? I looked
> through the code for quite a while but could not find how this could
> be done.

I don't speak C, so can't really say anything. but I would say, you can't.
and anyway, doesn't matter which object it is, it gets the same treatment

> I read somewhere that even if gui elements are not drawn in  a
> subpatch they take use a lot of cpu.
> Is this true? How much processing goes on for  gui elements when not
> visible?

I don't have any hard data to back this up, but I think not, only
displayed elements count to cpu (maybe hidden ones count a bit?). my only
way to be sure would be to make a stress test. but maybe someone else can
say more about tcl/tk.

João