[PD] OT: Dimensions (WAS: Re: access to pd table from another application)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Apr 5 19:04:57 CEST 2011

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, András Murányi wrote:

> i like it! when Matju mentioned 15 dimensions, this one came to my mind:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_GQqUg6Ts

Is this serious ? I don't know much about recent physics, but this doesn't
sound like the same 10-dimensional system as is being talked about in
string theory, for example. I mean the dimensions beyond the first four.

Additionally, talking about all possible timelines as being only one extra
dimension, is something really weird to me. With the usual expectations of
connectedness and metrics, possible worlds that are similar to each other
ought to be close to each other in the space of all possibilities, and
there are lots of things that can vary, so, you need a lot of dimensions
to go with all those possibilities. Probably billions of billions of... I
don't know.

But GridFlow's dimensions are a lot more mundane than that. I can have one
dimension for rows-of-rows and columns-of-columns, that is, groupings of
rows and columns. That was for the purpose of making mosaïcs. Usually, and
in that case, time is not a dimension in GridFlow, though it can be, as in
remap_video.pd and nervous_video.pd.