[PD] What version of GEM should I use with pd 0.43-0 vanilla

Billy Stiltner billy.stiltner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 02:48:58 CEST 2011

On 4/7/11, patko <colet.patrice at free.fr> wrote:

> ----- "Billy Stiltner" <billy.stiltner at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Thanks or the info.
>> Yeah I couldn't find msvcr71.dll anywhere till I looked in max/msp. I
>> also could not figure out why that pd 0.42.5 gem worked without it
>> before I installed pd 0.43.  Everything seems to be working great
>> now.
>>

> Maybe you have uninstalled pd-extended 0.42.5 before, then it has
> uninstalled gem and dll's it needs,
> and maybe the pd-extended 0.43 install script omit to put this dll?

Another big duh to me. pdx has the msvcr71.dll in it's bin folder.

>> I do try to keep my patches working using only vanilla except for
>> ~moog and Gem.
>> I would like to be able to do a moog abstraction with vanilla
>> filtering objects.  I just recently listened to some of the iem vcf
>> filters. They sound pretty good too.
>
> yes they do, did you try ggee filters? they are the best ones I've heard on
> pd, maybe because they use [biquad~].

I only tried the ~moog. I will have to listen to the others now.

> you know when you add an external path it will be available from all pd
> versions because
> it's litterally a full path name that is added by the new tcl interface, and
> because vanilla and extended shares the same config file.
> that's why I use to start patches made for vanilla with a .bat script, then
> I can set exactly what I need in pd for my application.

Actually on my machine there are separate registry entries for pdx and pd.
both versions of vanilla I have installed share the same registry entry.

>> The problem with using externals with cross platform applications is
>> if you don't supply the library on all 3 platforms then there may be
>> some people that cant use your patch.
>>

> That's why I think that pd-extended should add only externals available on
> all 3 platforms.
> It's not really the job of patch developpers to provide cross platform
> externals and libraries but the job of the external developpers.

Is there a list of externals that work on all 3 platforms?