[PD] Some of my patches mandelbrot(fractal music), manit(mandelbrot iterator abstraction), drum machine sequence editor, etc..

Billy Stiltner billy.stiltner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 07:51:51 CEST 2011

Hey here are some of my patches.

old mandelbrot
http://sites.google.com/site/billystiltner/Astronauts/mandel3.pd

this is an updated mandel abstraction. It could be used to plugin to
the above patch.
http://www.geocities.ws/billy_stiltner/music/pd/manit.pd is an
abstraction that accepts  as input:

a bang to perform an iteration

a bang to restart orbit

k,l(real and imag of C)

boundary ie. 4 if the escape boundary has a radius of 2

and numits  - 0=free running

outputs are:

 itnum(resets to 0 on escape or numits reached)

x,y(real and imag of Z)

xesc,yesc(real and imag of Zescape) only when an orbit escapes boundary

a bang when an orbit escapes

a bang when an orbit reaches numits

to put x or y to notes use this expr

[expr (($f1 + 4) / 8 * $f2) + $ f3]

f1 = x or y(make one expr ezch for x and y)
$f2 = scale factor (this stretches or compresses the range of notes)
$f3 = offset(this transposes the notes up or down a step)

output is a note number which can feed a mtof or table lookup for
nonstandard tunings.

You could also use the old scaling algorithm.

This implementation uses abs( in the boundary check to get rid of some
of the flying off to space notes)

One of these days I should make an example and help file. Curently the
only patches I have using this have way too many other patches and
tangled messes of wires to submit as an example.

*************************
A drum machine sequencer editor similar to Reason's Redrum
http://www.geocities.ws/billy_stiltner/music/pd/dmachine.seqed.pd

The above abstract is only the sequencer editor.

I have this producing beats but have not decided on a pitch control
yet Nor have I added controls to individual drums so will post when
that is done. It is good to see the workings of the sequencer editor
as is before it gets too complex.

Uses table as pattern ram.

*********************************

http://www.geocities.ws/billy_stiltner/music/bsample.zip

This is a sampler I'm working on. I had submitted the patch to the pd
list to help with a glitch. I'm not sure if it is cleaned up or not
but it includes my favorite drum machine samples I've had since 1997
or so.  As well as my envelope generator and a few other patches. I am
proud of the envelope generator it is a pretty cool implementation of
logical zen on preserving the precious cpu pulses yet providing a rich
variety of envelope modulation.

Thanks to Miller Puckette for the examples of quartric envelopes.

What is the best way to pitch shift drum samples? I almost want to say
screw keeping the length o the sample the same and just use [tabosc4~]
Allthough the Rockafeller and others sound almost like vocoders or
robots at some shifting settings which is a nice effect. I will
probably make the pitch shifting a modular thing. I almost have a clue
how to do such things now. If I am correct you can change the
name(source) of an atom dynamically can you not?
If I make all of the pitch shifting abstractions have the same i/o
then this is the key to modularity with pd. It is simple as wrapping
the abstractions with a message handler to tell the atom to change its
source. the inputs and outputs will stay connected is this correct? By
using cnv to control gop each module could have it's own display for
editing internal uncommon parameters as well. This idea could be used
for oscilators, filterbanks, lfos, envelope generators, you name it. I
just have to get busy and decide what to name everything. It is
designed in my head just have to get it into the computer. Quick I
need a thought to pd converter! haha!