[PD] Arduino, any feedback to help me choose the model?

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:14:37 CEST 2011

Hi all,
I sorry to start yet another thread about arduino, but i'm too lazy to
search the archives and i suppose that they are upgrading the different
models frequently.
I have been using a hacked gamepad-turned-stompbox to control my live
patches, and right now i feel that it's time to build something else that
would suit my needs more closely.
I have to choose between a decent gamepad that i could hack and a arduino
board. Only, i don't know anything about arduino. So it'd be nice if a list
member could help me a little bit.
Here's what i have right now :
- 8 buttons + 1 potentiometer (in a pedal).
I'd like to have more buttons (I could have 12 using the game controller,
can i have more with a arduino board?). And it'd be nice if could have more
"analog" pots (i could have up to 4 using the gamepad, but they're hard to
solder...).
Also, i'd like to know the "resolution" of the analog inputs of a arduino
board. Is it higher than that of a gamepad? That'd be cool because i could
have a smoother control over certain values in my patch.

And finally, what do i need to connect the arduino board to Pd? Is it the
HID object or something different?

Any help welcome.

Cheers!

Pierre