[PD] Arduino, any feedback to help me choose the model?

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Sun Apr 10 15:22:23 CEST 2011

They have a lot of models (not accounting for spin-offs done by other folks,
which some are great - long live open hardware), I think there are some more
parameters for choosing an arduino model:
- Does size matters?
- Does price matters?
- 8 buttons + 1 potentiometer (in a pedal). Extendability up to 12.
  - do you wanna multiplex[1], or simple coding?

 Maybe if you really want a lot of inputs, Duemillianuove will not suffice,
and maybe Mega is the way to go, but its more expensive and bigger.

[1] http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/4051

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Pierre Massat <pimassat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I sorry to start yet another thread about arduino, but i'm too lazy to
> search the archives and i suppose that they are upgrading the different
> models frequently.
> I have been using a hacked gamepad-turned-stompbox to control my live
> patches, and right now i feel that it's time to build something else that
> would suit my needs more closely.
> I have to choose between a decent gamepad that i could hack and a arduino
> board. Only, i don't know anything about arduino. So it'd be nice if a list
> member could help me a little bit.
> Here's what i have right now :
> - 8 buttons + 1 potentiometer (in a pedal).
> I'd like to have more buttons (I could have 12 using the game controller,
> can i have more with a arduino board?). And it'd be nice if could have more
> "analog" pots (i could have up to 4 using the gamepad, but they're hard to
> solder...).
> Also, i'd like to know the "resolution" of the analog inputs of a arduino
> board. Is it higher than that of a gamepad? That'd be cool because i could
> have a smoother control over certain values in my patch.
>
> And finally, what do i need to connect the arduino board to Pd? Is it the
> HID object or something different?
>
> Any help welcome.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Pierre