[PD] OT Audio Player HELP!

august august at alien.mur.at
Sat Apr 16 03:45:45 CEST 2011

> Dear pd Friends
> I have a sort of OT question that i thought i would post here
>
> I have a friend who is doing an installation for a doctors office and he sent me these three requests
>
> He is using linux, i am pretty sure ubuntu and gnome
>
> he needs it to
>
> 1.) Network controlled audio player
> 2.) cross fade songs on command not just at end of song
> 3.) be command line or tcp socket
>
> i thought maybe esd or ecasound might do it but it loks like they do not
> Any suggestions would be appreciated, the office opens monday and he, while a good programmer needs a quick fix for the ribbon cutting
>
> Can PD perform this without GUI?

Yes, in many different ways, depending on the audio format you want to
play and how you want to control it over the network.

You might try using a pair of readanysf~ objects, netreceive, and some
simple logic for the crossfading volume.

You can start pd on the command line with the -nogui argument.  It works
great.

As an alternative, you might research mplayer.  It can be started in
command mode in a pipe through python or some other scripting language
that has network capabilities.  You could receive commands in the
scripting language through a server socket and pass them on to one or
more instances of mplayer.  I believe you can use the -softvol arg to
mplayer to control each instance's volume with software instead of the
master sound card.

suerte!  -august.