[PD] gridflow issues

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Apr 17 18:55:24 CEST 2011

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, yvan volochine wrote:

>>> and then (30 or more): .x8e3b590 no such object
>> Haven't seen that. I could check with pd (0.)43 again to see whether
>> that's the bug that GridFlow had with it.
> this appears also on pd-extended-0.42.5

With any patch, or only those using [display] or [#see] ?

>>> (libs not found are libdc1394, libmpeg3, quicktime, ... although they
>>> are all installed and can all be found in /usr/include)
>> Send me your config.log.
> here it is:
> http://pastebin.com/cPKhKSWQ

the nasm problem is fixed in 9.14 (it's a ./configure problem ; you can
fix it using --force-nasm)

dc1394 is a bigger problem : the API was changed, and thus part of
gridflow/src/dc1394.cxx would have to be rewritten, and I have no such
camera. In addition, the laptop I just bought doesn't have any FireWire
port (but I still have the other laptop).

libmpeg3 says «found» in your config.log.

quicktimehw also says «found» in your config.log (after several attempts
to find it).

quicktimeapple can't possibly be found on a Linux OS.

most things listed by ./configure are optional (g++ and libstdc++ are the
only mandatory parts).

> it seems that my friend needs those abstractions

Can't your friend use the ones bundled in the version of GridFlow that
will be loaded ? No functionality got removed, but many patches depend on
changes in abstractions, and some abstractions may depend on changes in
other externals that are part of GridFlow, so, it's way better to not mix
and match parts of different versions.

> I thought that the bugs in the patch (random freezes, shutdown etc)
> might be related to those missing canvas/objects but I'm not sure..

I haven't had random shutdowns for three years now, and I don't remember
ever having random freezes. If you think that the problem has to do with
GUI objects, try making smaller versions of your patches that use less GUI
objects and see whether the error messages and/or the freezes and/or the
crashes disappear. You may notice patterns that will narrow down the
possibilities, and then perhaps you'll have enough information to be able
to write a bug report.

> ps: I uploaded

upgraded ?

> to ruby-1.9.1 just in case but same problems with building (and I don't
> see any new gcc/g++ in the ubuntu repos)

Not necessary. I don't run ruby 1.9.x anymore, only 1.8.x, and the
GridFlow 9.14 ./configure doesn't trigger the ruby [BUG] anymore.