[PD] helpbrowser and the paths

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed May 4 21:24:42 CEST 2011

On May 4, 2011, at 1:24 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-05-04 18:18, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Using Pd-extended 0.43.1-20110430 on Mac OS X I don't see this
>> behvaior
>> with Gem or gridflow.  The helpbrowser.tcl code is the same between
>> pure-data and pd-extended.
>
> the problem also appears with "cxc" (as shipped with debian)
> as soon as the user adds /usr/lib/pd/extra/cxc to their search paths,
> you get both cxc/ and all cxc-abstractions in the rootwindow of the
> help-browser.

> the problem also appears with Pd-0.43.1-extended-debian-squeeze-i386.
>
> afaik, it is perfectly valid to add the path to a library to your
> search
> paths (even if your personal workflow might be different), as a matter
> of fact, this was the suggested way to load libdirs in PdX until
> recently. it seems weird that this will now degrade the usability of
> the
> help browser.

This problem stems from the fact that -path and -lib have been muddled
in concept.  To make it clear, -path should should set a folder to
load libraries and externals from, and -lib should load a library into
the global namespace.  If we are treating abstractions like full
fledged objects, then loading a library with abstractions should also
load the abstractions into the global space with you do -lib.  That's
what the libdir loader/format solves.

You choose to ignore the libdir loader, but its in Debian too.  If one
runs the below command, the cxc would load as a library and the
abstractions would be treated the same:

pd -lib libdir -lib cxc

IMHO, loaders should not need to be loaded like a library, but should
instead go into pd/startup where they would be automatically loaded
when pd starts.  This is how Pd-extended 0.43 does it.  Then you could
have a library of C binaries, abstractions, lua files, Tcl files, etc.
You could load it like "pd -lib mymixedlib" and all of the objects
would be loaded into the namespace more or less the same way.

> fgamdr
> IOhannes
>
> PS: very minor sidenote
> $ diff /usr/lib/pd-extended/tcl/helpbrowser.tcl
> /usr/lib/puredata/tcl/helpbrowser.tcl
> Files /usr/lib/pd-extended/tcl/helpbrowser.tcl and
> /usr/lib/puredata/tcl/helpbrowser.tcl differ

The size of the difference is meaningful, don't hide the text of the
diff!  It is only to add the "Manuals" section.  There is no
difference in functionality.