[PD] 0.43 should still be a test version

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun May 8 14:14:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

I tested Pd Vanilla 0.43 for just a couple of days (this was some weeks
ago) and I found enough show-stopper regressions that I had to
immediately revert to version 0.42.5.

Version 0.43 still isn't mature enough to be used for purposes other
than testing it.
It should not be considered as the recommended release for "everyday
use"; and most important, until it is stable, bug fixes should be still
released for version 0.42. I am especially worried about this last
thing, as now for example I have to choose between a version that can't
broadcast UDP packets on Linux (0.42.5) and a version where the GUI may
stop responding at any time (0.43.0).

Here are three bugs that make it unusable, all of them are regressions:
bug 3298989: suddenly all the gui objects of a certain type (e.g. all
sliders) stop responding
bug 3273884: mouse wheel scrolling doesn't work (it scrolls all the way
down and all the way up in a single "step")
bug 3273848: editing an object box is painful. Depending on where
exactly you click, you may be unable to reach the last character (even
with the right arrow key); you have to click on it several times until
you are lucky.

Note that this is not meant as criticism to the great effort that has
been done to write Pd 0.43; if I am criticizing anything at all it is
the decision to release it as a stable release superseding 0.42.5. It's
just too soon.

I understand that the more people download and use it, the sooner these
bugs can be detected and fixed and the sooner PD 0.43 will be stable.
But if testing has to be encouraged, it must be done in a fair way.
People who are not downloading Pd for the sake of testing it, and who
need to get the most stable version, should be aware that 0.43 is _not_
the version they should download.

Cheers,
m.