[PD] CVs

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon May 9 15:22:11 CEST 2011

On Mon, 9 May 2011, Billy Stiltner wrote:

> I have come to the conclusion that all audio is discrete.

But the topic was about whether voltages were still being used to modulate
the sound effects. The answer is that one may do it sometimes, but most
digital-to-digital connections use a big stack of PCM protocols, such as
MIDI, or RS232 or Ethernet/TCP/IP, the latter two in combination with
ASCII-based or binary-based integer and float formats, etc. So in the end,
the relation between voltage/timing and the effect is not the kind of
thing that is obvious with an oscilloscope ;)

> probably everything measureable in the universe is discrete for that
> matter.

In the set of all possible frequencies of photon particles, are things
discrete ? I've never read that ever.

> If we had a fast enough sample rate we could slow down the recording of
> the use of such a whammy bar and see that it is indeed discrete.

The interference in the sensor, the cable and the ADC, and the
irregularities in the construction of the sensor and the ADC, will
completely submerge any quantum effects that you'd like to perceive. Is
that right ?