[PD] tcpserver for sending files?

Martin martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon May 9 19:27:36 CEST 2011

On 09/05/11 11:10 AM, Jeppi Jeppi wrote:
> Hey,
> looking at the functionality of [tcpclient] and [tcpserver] objects, I
> see there is a way to "send a file" through the TCP connection. What
> does this means? could you effectively send files from the filesystem?
> if so, where are them expected to be stored by the other end?
> It looks exciting but I didn't manage to send anything but numbers
> yet...no real files. Maybe I didn't undestand it?

If the data you're sending is a symbol instead of numbers, the symbol
will be interpreted as a file name, so [client 1 hello.jpg( will send
hello.jpg as raw bytes. The other end will just receive the raw bytes,
so it would need to know what to do with it. I made a pair of [httpreq]
and [httpreceive] objects that will work together with [tcpserver] and
[tcpclient] to simplify http requests and reception on (usually) port
80. I still need to make a [packhttp] object that will send stuff with
the proper header.

Martin