[PD] multiple OSC messages in one udp packet?

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue May 10 11:38:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

(this is not directly related to another recent thread I started
though it may seem so)

Does the OSC standard (or to be more precise, the standard for OSC
over UDP) allow to pack multiple OSC messages into a single UDP
packet?

If so, is there any chance that [packosc] and/or [udpsend] do so
"behind the scene" (i.e. without explicitly asking them to do so) when
you send them many messages in 0 or little logical time?

(And if ,in turn, so, is there a way to avoid it?)

I ask this because I am sending OSC messages from Pd to TouchOSC (on
an iPad) and when I send it multiple messages in 0 logical time (even
just 3 or 4 messages at a time, not dozens), TouchOSC almost
systematically loses many of them. This is definitely not the network
losing udp packets (or it would be a very unlikely coincidence) since
this is happening _only_ with the osc messages i send to the iPad, and
though I suspect it is a bug in the TouchOSC software, I was wondering
if this may be because of (unwantedly) bundling multiple osc messages
per udp packet (and touchOSC not supporting it).......

Thanks in advance
m.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette