[PD] The economics of Open source

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed May 11 03:33:25 CEST 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 09:21:58AM +0100, Pierre Massat wrote:
> I was trying to get Ardour to work last night and i came accross the forum
> on their website. I must say i was quite shocked to see how many posts were
> about money. I was equally surprized to see that the latest full version of
> Ardour isn't free (although you can name your price).

"Distributing free software is an opportunity to raise funds for development. Don't waste it!"
-- The Free Software Foundation
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

"[the user] may charge any price or no price for each copy that you convey, and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee."
-- The GPL
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html#section4

Cheers,

Chris.