[PD] Ubuntu Linux to Mac OSX Question

Funs Seelen funsseelen at gmail.com
Wed May 18 00:32:25 CEST 2011

2011/5/15 Brian Shepard <brian at studioii.com>

> Greetings,
>
> I have a student using Pd-extended on Ubuntu Linux, and I am using
> PD-extended in Mac OSX. When he sends me a file created on his computer, I
> can't open it, and get something like the following in the console:
>
> error: #N: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
> error: #X: no such object
>
> When I send him patches, he can open them just fine. If he sends me a
> screen
> grab of his patch, I can build it and it works just fine. The problem only
> happens when I try to open the actual Pd file he sent. I've also tried
> opening them with a text editor, and everything looks fine. If I then
> copy/paste the text into a new text file and save it with the .pd suffix,
> though, it still won't open. Is there some issue regarding transferring
> between these two systems? Thanks for any help or advice.

I would compare the text file of your re-build to his original. Except for
some XY-coordinates and order of objects/connections there shouldn't be a
difference. I've never heard of such a problem and never had one, although
I'm using Pd (vanilla) on both Ubuntu and OSX (and use patches
cross-platform). I don't know if some different text encodings have been
used in older versions. Maybe others know more about text encodings et
cetera. If you want to be shure try to retype a small file instead of
copy/paste. I once even typed a text file on a Windows computer and opened
it later at home as a working pd-patch.

Funs