[PD] loading patches very slow in linux

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat May 21 23:33:54 CEST 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Patrice Colet wrote:

> Really? I always thought that slow gridflow's help patch opening was
> caused by graph on parent drawing, then caused by tcl-tk low speed.

With only one level of GOP, with rather few GUI items, it can't possibly
happen. It has to be something else.

An average GFDP doc-item instantiates [doc_layout], [doc_editmode],
[doc_iemfont], [doc_below], in addition to itself.

[doc_layout] itself instantiates [doc_bottom].

Some item have also a [doc_add] or [doc_make].

This means loading 6-7 files per doc item, except for comments (because I
haven't replaced comments with funny-looking abstractions yet...;)

Back in the DOS days, if you looked in a folder that contained N files,
you needed N system-calls (kernel) to get the whole list. I hope it isn't
like that in Windows ??? ;)