[PD] routeOSC: how to distinguish messages addressed to a node from messages addressed to any descendant

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun May 22 00:44:06 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-21 18:10, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> On 05/21/2011 10:39 PM, cyrille henry wrote:
>> what about [routeOSC /foo/* /foo] ?
>
> That won't work. RouteOSC only matches "one level at a time", meaning
> that [routeOSC /foo/bar] will never match anything (indeed it should
> issue a warning at creation time). That applies also to /foo/*, I've
> just tried it.

The latest version of [routeOSC] matches multiple levels, but the
wildcard seems to be broken for multiple levels.

> Even if it worked, you wouldn't be able to distinguish /foo/bar from
> /foo/etc after that, because routeOSC strips the address that matches *
> (just as it strips the address that matches anything).

You can do [routeOSC /foo /foo/bar /foo/etc] if you can stand getting
multiple output.

> I don't see any way out of this, until [routeOSC] will consider a
> message without an address as equivalent to a message addressed to "/".

Yes I think that makes sense. But I think [routeOSC] should simply
prefix an outgoing message with '/' if there is no more path.

Martin