[PD] routeOSC: how to distinguish messages addressed to a node from messages addressed to any descendant

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun May 22 01:21:35 CEST 2011

On 05/22/2011 12:44 AM, Martin Peach wrote:
>>  until [routeOSC] will consider a
>> message without an address as equivalent to a message addressed to "/".
>>

> Yes I think that makes sense. But I think [routeOSC] should simply
> prefix an outgoing message with '/' if there is no more path.

I agree that would be a more consistent solution, but I think it would
break more existing patches.
Indeed it would break almost _any_ existing patch using routeOSC, while
having non-addressed messages match "/" would break only those patches
which rely on [routeOSC] to discard such messages through the right
outlet, which should not be a common practice, considering that most
message are not handled properly by touchOSC used that way (only floats
are; lists of floats are truncated after the first element and any other
message issues an error).