[PD] CVs

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun May 22 19:37:19 CEST 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:38:37PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 May 2011, Chris McCormick wrote:
>>> At the very least they exist physically encoded in the brain chemistry
>>> of somebody who is thinking about those concepts. Brains are part of
>>> physical reality, right?
>> Yeah, but the map is not the territory.
>
> I am not convinced they are different in the case of things that "we
> can't perceive ... from the physical world."

All this to be able to cleverly claim « Santa Claus really exists » with a
big satisfied grin on your face ? ;)

There's a practical reason why people make a difference between a rock, a
brain thinking about a rock, a brain thinking about a brain thinking about
a rock, and a brain thinking about the set of all possible brains thinking
in all different manners about all different kinds of rocks... even though
each of those cases must be embodied by some part of the physical world...
and even though all of those cases are referring to rocks.