[PD] euclidean rhythms

Martin Dupras martindupras at gmail.com
Thu May 26 01:29:40 CEST 2011

I had a quick read of the paper just now. I might have missed the
point altogether, but from what I understand, the results that he gets
from the Euclidian algorithm are the same (if you accept a rotation
pattern as being equivalent) as what you'd get from the simple
rounding of fractions.

In other words: let's say you want 5 beats in a grid of 12 (or a
12-sided polygon, if we use his graphical representation), the exact
spacing between two beats would be 12/5, or 2.4.

The first beat would be 0*2.4= 0.
The second beat would 1*2.4 = 2.4, rounded to 2
The third would be 2*2.4 = 4.8, which we round to 5.
The fourth would be 3*2.4= 7.2, which we round to 7.
The fifth would be 4*2.4  = 9.6, which we round to 10.

We now have the pattern x.x..x.x..x.

The way I would do it would be to store the pattern in table;
calculate the slice size (e.g. 12/5), then multiply successfully by
values from 0 to n-1 (0 to 4, since we want 5 divisions of 12), round
that, and then store a "1" at the rounded index values.

I'm sure there are plenty of more elegant methods.

- martin