[PD] CVs

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu May 26 15:15:14 CEST 2011

Another great quote, I apologise for reading it again, I am always
bringing this one out because it's elegant, is Quine
who restates Shannon and Weaver in a way:

"The notion of information is indeed clear enough... it is central
to the theory of communication. It makes sense relative to one
or another pre-assigned matrix of alternatives... You have to
say in advance what features are going to count."

No pre-conception, no conception. Otherwise its novel, and a
confusing jumble until some ordering, naming and searching
of existing patterns has taken place. The next time, maybe
then it's okay for those sensible impressions to become
worthy of a symbol, like the number 42. In that case there
are necessary conditions for the perception of 42 trees
falling, other than the physical fact itself.

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>