[PD] Preventing pix_image to eat up all CPU

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Fri May 27 22:01:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

Has anybody ever used a considerable number of [pix_image] objects in
the same patch?

If I do so, even if I don't load any image on any of them and even if
they are all "disconnected" (meaning they are not receiving the
gemlist), they eat up a lot of CPU. With 64 pix images doing nothing Pd
is already eating up 75% of my dual core.

I wonder if anybody has run into the same issue, especially on Linux and
found any workaround.

I'm completely stuck because I need to have a few images pre-loaded and
at any moment, show one of them (and I can't dynamically load them with
an "open" message on only one [pix_image], because loading is threaded).
This shouldn't be cpu-consuming at all, as I'll always make only one
image visible, but pix_image is consuming CPU merely for existing.

GEM: ver: 0.92.3
GEM: compiled: May 30 2010
Ubuntu 10.04

Thanks