[PD] Spectral focusing

eran at mx.kein.org eran at mx.kein.org
Sat May 28 11:14:20 CEST 2011

@ William Brent: William, I'm a big fan of tID - what an incredible
library! I've used it for several projects this year. So first up - big
thanks.
I was able to get some interesting results from the bark-vocoder(not at
all robot like!), with replacing the [osc~]s with [vfc~]s and tracking the
fundamental of a harmonic source with [sigmund~].
But this still sound like imposing the harmonic characteristic on an
existing spectrum, while I think I am looking to arrive at harmonicity
through something like moving the frequencies of the partials into their
closest values according to the harmonic series (so moving from
bins=>partials).

Can this be done? it would entail changing the frequency of each bin
separately.
A related procedure would be non-linear spectral stretching, which I also
could not find in my searches through pd-world.

@ Peter Plessas: Miller's timbre-stamp is totally cool, but if I
understand it correctly it changes the spectral contour of the sound by
replacing the amplitudes of the respective bins, but as is the case with
fft, the frequencies of the bins are determined by the analysis-size so
they remain the same for both sounds. And while this sounds great I think
I'm looking to change the frequency of each partial in a way that isn't
tied with the discrete frequencies of the bins..

This is what got me curious about Wishart's way of using lpc - he says
that you can set the coefficients according to pitch relations, though I
still dunno how to do this in pd, argh...

Thanks guys,
Zax