[PD] OCR with Puredata?

Alvin Google alvin.oslvn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:10:21 CEST 2011

  On 6/1/11 8:54 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Alvin O'Sullivan wrote:
>
>> It is in the early concept stages, but I was thinking that the user
>> interface would be a piece of glass/plastic the input device would be
>> a webcam on the inside of a box/resonator. The ambient light outside
>> of the box (no pun intended) would be enough of a difference to read
>> the opaque markings as parse-able characters.
>
> Ok, this is two-dimensional reading, which is already a lot more
> ordinary. If characters are upright (non-rotated) it may be even more
> ordinary. This means it'll be easier to find existing support for
> reading characters, or to (re)invent that support.
>
> Beyond that, I don't know much more about OCR.

> | Mathieu Bouchard ---- tél: +1.514.383.3801 ---- Villeray, Montréal, QC
I've not used the neural net libraries/abstracts before so I will give
it a try and see how it goes. It sounds as though having a good grid
size to input method resolution would be the first step. Some of the
image processing can be handled by the web-camera driver: contrast,
flipping the image etc. The interface will be part of a sculpture that
act as resonator, so depending on the input I can catch and process my
patch will respond with auditory feedback. The key is to keep the user
interested and willing to play with this thing.

Marks or gestures would be enough if character processing were not
practical.

I will also have to some how recorded the different session states later
to be recalled when a user is not available.

Thanks again for all of your help.