[PD] RJDJ,sceneplayer & Xoom

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Jun 8 15:53:24 CEST 2011

Hi Joe,

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 01:59:44PM +0100, Joe White wrote:
> Couldn't we just update the [rj_image] external in the ScenePlayer on Android
> to accept any sized image?

Sure, but then scenes you make and run with ScenePlayer would be incompatible with RjDj on iOS. There are other things to be taken into account too, like what happens if your user has a tablet with a different aspect ratio? How should images be stretched etc.? A fixed 320x320 bitmap is not a great starting point to make things more flexible and still look good. Basically you have to break the existing RjDj format if you want those features.

With PdDroidParty I am going to provide a facility to bundle SVGs ("Scalable Vector Graphic") for your patch background and for each GUI type in order to theme them. I was also thinking about 9-patch graphics[1]. Hopefully this means that patches with fancy graphics will look reasonable on all devices. I am some way off from doing that though, and I may run out of steam before I get to it. :)

Cheers,

Chris.

[1] http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/draw9patch.html