[PD] RJDJ,sceneplayer & Xoom

Joe White white.joe4 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 17:03:46 CEST 2011

On 8 June 2011 15:47, Peter Brinkmann <peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> A few clarifications regarding the ScenePlayer app for Android:
>
> * The app faithfully implements all features of the iPhone app that were
> publicly documented last summer, including rj_image, rj_text, sensor input,
> etc.  There have been a few additions since (scaling and rotating text, I
> think); those will be easy enough to add when I see the new specs, and I'm
> not aware of any scenes that require them.  In short, a properly written
> RjDj scene should look and behave the same for both versions.
>
> How do you want the spec Peter? As a Pd patch showing how to use it? I'm
going to update the help patch for [rj_image] in the RjLib, would that be
useful?

> * The Android version implements rj_image and friends as abstractions, not
> externals.  The immediate practical reason is that the architecture of
> Android apps pretty much requires this, but it's also a simpler design that
> was possible because of the message-passing features of libpd.  Generally
> speaking, I believe that the only externals that you would really want to
> use with libpd are those that enhance the signal processing capabilities of
> Pd (e.g., fiddle~).  Everything else is more easily implemented outside of
> Pd and controlled with messages.

Yeah, it's annoying that you have to compile externals into the app for
iOS.

> * I don't think it would be a good idea to generalize ScenePlayer to accept
> image sizes other than 320x320 because that would almost certainly break
> compatibility with the original.  A more realistic approach would be to
> tweak the UI so that it'll scale to fill up the screen (while preserving the
> aspect ratio) or at least center itself on Honeycomb devices.  I won't have
> time to work on this, but if somebody wants to implement this, I'll be happy
> to consider a patch.
>
> Cheers,
>      Peter
>

> This is really cool Peter. Thanks for you all your work! I don't know about
Martin, but I don't think many of us in the company are that update with the
Android development - being that we all have iPhones :)

Cheers,
Joe