[PD] Pd performance at TED

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jun 22 17:27:51 CEST 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 21:36 +0100, "Marco Donnarumma" <devel at thesaddj.com>
wrote:
> there are many nuances, but I mentioned that as the text in Onyx's video
> read: "so that beatjazzers become as common as djs."
> Do you really need cables everywhere, sensors, a mouthpiece with two
> guitar
> pickups, a smartphone stick to your forearm, etc.. to achieve such goal?
>
> Wait a moment. I'm not saying his work is bad or anything.
> I made safe my respect for his work at the beginning.
>
> I'm just saying, guys it's TED and when I heard gestural and sensor
> control
> I expected another kind of work, underpinned by another kind of
> aesthetic,
> approach, and motivation.
> But, I probably overestimated which is the value and motivation of new
> technologies which need to be shown to the mainstream public.
>

> "...he clearly has musical skill with his instrument, and is able to keep
> the musical timing tight.  These are all difficult things to do, and from
> what I've seen 95% of performance with new interfaces for musical
> expression
> does not achieve one of those goals solidly."
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxnFbU6-_eU&feature=player_embedded#at=51
>
> that was in 2008 by Eboman, using not only real time audio looping, but
> also
> video looping and processing, plus remix of a website online.
>
> Hans, Onyx is playing mostly loops isn't he? How you know about the
> timing?
> We don't even know how much of what he's doing is really live, what is he
> triggering, if timing is controlled by a timeline or by his performance.
> Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
> But I saw a lot of loops playing on a timeline and some solos parts
> possibly
> produced through the mouthpiece.
>
> I'm not talking about the quality of the performance which is obviously
> good, reliable and enjoyable.
> I'm pointing at the real value of the innovation since it's a TED
> episode.

 So that Eboman performance is a nice performance, he's doing some adept
 gestural control of sound, and the whole thing put together seems quite
 engaging.  I think Eboman has a very different goal than Onyx Ashanti.
 Eboman is a live media performance, Onyx Ashanti is a musician.  The
 sounds that Eboman is making would really not be very engaging without
 the live drummer.  It would just be scratching of the video, which
 could be a good media performance, but doesn't seem very musical.  And
 even with the live drummer, the music is pretty repetative.  Without
 the novelty of the video sampling the live camera, it would not stand
 very well as a musical performance.  I think the audience would have
 been bored.  But Eboman is doing a media performance, so it doesn't
 make much sense to judge it as a musical performance.