[PD] arduino mega and firmata, can i use all pins?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 24 20:23:15 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-24 13:59, FernandoG wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I am in a proyect where i need to use 40 outputs digital pins and 15
> analog input conected to a pd patch. I know arduino mega could be a good
> solution, but searching in the web i found a post where someone said
> arduino mega doesnt work with pd frimata,
> http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,62256.0.html   please somebody
> know if this is true? there is no way to use all analog inputs and
> digital outputs from arduino mega?

I guess you need to find someone who actually has an arduino mega.
Just from looking at the firmata code, it seems to be compatible with
all the different arduino variants. I would guess that it's the Pd patch
that needs to be adapted to use a mega. You can probably figure out what
does what and extend it.

OTOH it is entirely feasible to write an arduino program that will do
anything its microcontroller can do. Firmata turns the arduino into a
kind of generic I/O box, but it is often more efficient to do precisely
what you want by programming it directly. As long as the arduino
software can set the 40 pins as outputs and read the 15 analog pins,
then it is possible to control that from Pd via [comport].

Martin