[PD] Pd performance at TED

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Jun 25 20:15:12 CEST 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Onyx Ashanti wrote:

> [...]
> But, that's not a constrain, right?
> Things don't need to be difficult to be relevant (?)
>
> things "can be" very easy.  but easy was never a goal.  my goal was
> to create a system to express "myself" the way i express myself.  i
> love movement, i love sound. blending the two was eventually going
> to happen but now i am getting into the mechanics of it and learning
> as i go.  so its not easy but the difficult parts are not something
> i would shy away from either.
>

> I would like an elaboration on how the system is "clunky" if you
> don't mind.
> First off, I feel that it is pretty streamlined for a first
> prototype made
> of cardboard that is only 3 months old. Two wireless hand units and
> a mouth
> unit. If you have suggestions as to how I might improve it at this
> stage,
> before my next stage or dev, I would love to hear it.
>
> Sure. First, I think the video and its text on TED are misleading.
> I understood that the work was a finished one and you were
> demonstrating it.
> It's important to know it's only three months prototype.
>

> About the clunkyness.
> I'm also designing a wearable biosensor so I'm happy to share my
> vision (strictly subjective though).
>
> Imho, the box connected to the mouthpiece which presently is hanging
> from the front side, could be placed on your belt.
> Increase the lenght of the cable, put the cable under your shirt and
> you're done.
>
> two reasons that not optimal.  first being that i have a distinct
> dislike of belt packs.  the internals of the box around my neck are
> to be included in a carbon fiber helmet which will also house the
> mic, various sensors and the actual heads up display that the iphone
> is standing in for. and two, the length of the breath tube would be
> inefficient at that length.  the shorter the better because the tube
> must also be vented.
>
> As for the phone as headup display.
> Something that works very good is haptic feedback.
> You can have the Pd system send small pulses to a tiny speaker stuck
> to your skin.
> These could represent key points in a timeline, pattern changes,
> instrument changes, behaviour of your sensor, or even the bpm.
> Pulses can also have different lenghts so that you can have an array
> of signals.
>
> there are haptics in the the app i use in the phone.  TouchOSC
> responds to a [vibrate< message.  the units use lilypad buzzers but
> i must reprogram my firmata to react more quickly.  my haptics are
> mainly used for transposition points, accelerometer positioning and
> functions and a wonderful "wrap-it-up" button that allows the
> promoter at my gigs, to click it and it metronomically buzzes my
> iphone so that i know that its time to "wrap it up" and can end my
> set in a musically satisfying manner.  they love that!  i get emails

Along these lines, I could see a long term solution being a fast
Android or iPhone on your arm that actually runs the Pd patches,
connects to the Arduinos, and displays on the screen.  Then you can
use a standard wireless mic to transmit the sound wirelessly.  Those
are very reliable and low latency, as opposed to wireless networking,
bluetooth, etc.  But that could take a far amount of working, so I
think it makes a lot of sense to iron out what the instrument should
be first.  And the longer you want, the cheaper and easier the phones
will be to use

.hc

> [...]
> that we must be in the audience. Otherwise people can not see that
> you are
> actually playing. That is why when I play clubs I play from the
> dance floor
> and currently monitor with the club sound system which is hard but
> allows a
> flow of ideas that doesn't come from separating ones self from the
> audience.
> And from there people can see your fingers and gestures carve the
> sound.
>
> I have to disagree.
> I would suggest to consider that a gestural controller in a dance
> party has a very different scope than one in an experimental
> performance.
> Secondly, there are many other ways to make the people understand
> that you're playing.
> We come back to the directness of a system.
> We could see in your video all the buttons you were pushing, but
> half of people who wrote was not aware of what you were doing anyway.
> Specially because the wider gesture of your body (like "dancing",
> keeping the rhythm as a dj does) were not affecting the music
> directly.
>
> Well, i actually play from the room now and it works amazingly.
> people come up and dance with me. and every once in a while I shake
> my hand and start swirling a big distorted delayed mnoster sound
> then BOOM! drop into some crazy beat that even i wasnt expecting to
> cook up.  i think more people than you think are way way WAY  more
> than ready to have their dance and their experimental at the same
> time.  like i said above, in the future i see, i see no
> distinction.  i see an ecosystem of musical perspectives, all
> enhanced by technology.  as many genres as there are artists, the
> the point that genres no longer apply and you can only describe an
> artists music by his/her name.
>

> This form of performance blends my desire to connect with my space
> my music
> and my movements as intimately but, it should be noted as well, this
> is a 3
> month old prototype so that people are discussing it and I have even
> moved
> from beta stage yet, is encouraging.
>
> Indeed, such discussion prove that your work is very interesting.
> That's why I'm arguing so much about it :)
>
> And as Andy said, please, I would love to know in detail how your
> system works as I'm working on a similar, yet very different,
> gestural control system based on biophysical sensors.
> If you still don't hate me :P, I would love to write you in pv and
> share our experience.
>
> i dont want you to get the idea that i hate you or anyone that
> doesnt like some aspect of my concept.  if i were so thin skinned,
> i'd be playing RnB on sax like i did 20 years ago.  i chose this
> path and in amongst critiques are sometime valuable information that
> i, have and will, continue to incorporate.  definitely lets chat!

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute.
  - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs