[PD] click sound when saving

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:59:34 CEST 2011

Hi Jamie

Am I right in thinking, that you get this click even while all your
audio modules are silent? At least, that is what the click.wav file
suggests.

I assume there are two things involved that cause the clicking:

* When doing "a lot" within 0 logical time, you'll get audio drop outs,
because the computer is not fast enough doing the requested task in the
defined time frame (which is: your buffer size). This often happens
while loading or saving presets.

* It seems one or more of your audio modules contain a bit of DC
('direct current' or constant) in their signal. Make sure to avoid that
whenever possible, since DC decreases the dynamic range available and
makes your amps and speakers consume a lot of energy without any
benefit.

Now, if you really have a certain amount of DC going to your [dac~] and
there is a drop-out (see reasons above), this will be audible, because
during the drop-out the signal switches to 0 and after the drop-out back
to the DC level. I think that is the reason for your clicks.

For a quick test, you could put a [hip~ 5] right before the [dac~] and
check if the clicking still occurs. A high-pass filter will remove any
DC components from the signal, but the better solution would be not to
generate a DC in the first place.

Roman