[PD] reorg of puredata.info/docs/developer

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Jul 3 22:44:52 CEST 2011

On Jul 3, 2011, at 10:04 AM, András Murányi wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 20:41, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> wrote:
>
> I just finished a big, long-overdue reorg of the http://puredata.info/docs/developer
>  section of the website.
>
>  * Its now a "wiki folder" so it acts like a regular wiki, not like
> a weird plone mix of things.  It also allows email subscripts to
> wiki pages.
>
>  * I purged old pages and redirected them to the new versions
>
>  * I cleaned up the formatting on the front page
>
>  * I updated references to CVS, etc.
>
>  * I purged a couple very out-of-date things
>
> Let me know what you think, and please contribute where you can! :-D
>
> .hc
>

> IMHO the whole GUI Plugins stuff could go under Developer.

One goal for me is to make it easy enough for all Pd users to write
their own GUI plugins.  Honestly, I think we can make GUI plugins
replace the idea of preferences.  A simple set of preferences is very
easy to understand.  But many people find a simple set limiting, so
you see many programs implementing huge preferences systems that
mystify most users (think Photoshop, MS Office, OpenOffice, etc.)  I
think with a well designed scripting/plugin system, it would work
better than preferences.

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra