[PD] OT: emails to the list / SMTP servers / SPF record

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 03:09:09 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 23:29, <errordeveloper at gmail.com> wrote:

> András,
>
> Firstly, I cannot see this being relevant to anyone on the list.

It is - I see the warning attached to many people's mails (on this mailing
list). Actually your mail has arrived with the warning: "This message may
not have been sent by: errordeveloper at gmail.com - Learn more - Report
phishing"

> Secondly, from my personal experience SPF doesn't help very much -
> you will need DomainKey and that need to be setup in the MTA.

I'll need to see if SPF has a positive effect on this - at the moment, I
just thought this is an emerging issue and people better hear about it from
a mailing list than having person-to-person mails lost in nowhere.

> My personal solution to all mail delivery issues is to use Google
> Apps with my domain name. If your SMTP server has potentially or
> really bad reputation (spam history, shared hosting, home ISP IP) -
> the chances that your mail arrives at gmail/hotmail/other are
> terribly unstable. I know this from my work experience at a shared
> hosting company.
>
> The solution to this is to have private IP on a private host or
> use gmail/hotmail/other.

Yep, Google Apps mail has SPF (and maybe other things) built in, simple
Gmail not.

Andras