[PD] Compiling...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Jul 9 05:53:42 CEST 2011

On Jul 8, 2011, at 1:58 PM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mario Mey wrote:
>> Trying to compile PureData, SVN, on Ubuntu 11.04 AMD64, following
>> the instruction from the page http://puredata.info/docs/developer,
>> I did:
>>
>> 1.- rsync from the auto-build farm (from http://puredata.info/docs/developer/GettingPdSource)
>> rsync -av --delete rsync://128.238.56.50/distros/pd-extended/ pd-
>> extended/
>>
>> 2.- Preparing Ubuntu: http://puredata.info/docs/developer/UbuntuMaverick
>>
>> 3.- Building PD-Extended: http://puredata.info/docs/developer/BuildingPdExtended
>>
>> But there's no .tar.bz2 or .deb on pure-data/packages/linux-make/
>> build... These are the last lines while compilling. What should I
>> do? I don't understand...
>> /[...] CUT [...]
>> WorkerThread.cpp: In member function ‘bool
>> gem::thread::WorkerThread::PIMPL::start()’:
>> WorkerThread.cpp:135:22: error: aggregate
>> ‘gem::thread::WorkerThread::PIMPL::start()::timeval sleep’ has
>> incomplete type and cannot be defined
>> WorkerThread.cpp:139:28: error: ‘select’ was not declared in this
>> scope
>> /
>
> I also encountered exactly that error (on debian wheezy amd64).
>
> Quick super-hackish-politically-un-correct work-around whgo through
> the compile (but not sure if then everything will work):
>
> - cd to ./externals/Gem/src/Gem/ within the pd-extended dir
> - edit the file WorkerThread.cpp and add #include <sys/time.h> at
> around line 43 (after #include <iostream>)
> - Save file
> - cd to the scrips dir again
> - edit pd-extended-release-auto-builder.sh
> - comment out the line rsync_distro "$auto_build_root_dir" (line 42
> here)
> #rsync_distro "$auto_build_root_dir"
> - start the script:
> ./pd-extended-release-auto-builder.sh
> - go get a cup of coffee ... go get dinner ... go get a bath ... :-)
> - build should get through and you should have the deb including gem
> and gem related
>
> But it seems Pd has some problem with standard objects (maybe due to
> previous versions)
>
> Lorenzo

This is totally legit for dev builds, I do it all the time :-)  But
just an FYI, since you used ./pd-extended-release-auto-builder.sh
that should build the previous final release (0.42.5).  Using ./pd-
extended-auto-builder.sh for the current dev build.  I think Mario is
building the 0.43 dev.

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith