[PD] Comport can't read serial devices when soundcard is plugged in

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Sat Jul 9 14:41:15 CEST 2011

Similar problem here. I had an Arduino (USB) and a LCD display (RS232)
working together very well with two [comport] objects on my old mainboard.
With the new board either one by themselves is working fine but both of them
connected bidirectional doesn't work. As soon as I connect the serial in
from the display (which is supposed to get the keypad of the serial display)
I get a lots of crazy data coming in. After a while either [comport] or Pd
altogether crashes.

The LCD [comport] should only receive digital buttons on/off. While the
arduino sends buttons plus four analogue INs from a joystick and two foot
pedals.
All cables are very short, so the problematic behaviour can't be caused by
the cable length. Without connecting the serial out of the display to the
serial in of the computer everything works fine.

I was also suspecting an error in comport where the data of two instances of
two [comport] objects get mixed up. It looks like the analogue data from the
arduino board gets forwarded to the second RS232 [comport] of the LCD.

Ingo