[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 05:28:47 CEST 2011

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>, "Hans-Christoph Steiner" <hans at at.or.at>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 2:56 AM
>

> Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >--- On Sun, 7/10/11, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> >> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots
> of new editing
> >features
> >> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> >> Cc: "Ivica Ico Bukvic" <ico at vt.edu>, pd-list at iem.at
> >> Date: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 7:25 PM

> <hans at at.or.at>

> updates: lots
> >> of new editing

> Wilkes

> Steiner
> >> <hans at at.or.at>

> improvements
> >> don't

> >> cause-of.

> sharing the
> >> upstream takes

> >> responsibility to
> example:
> >> [initbang] and

> enough
> >> that they
> and

> Guenter's
> >> idea for a clean
> referring
> >> to?  I didn't
> >>
> >> Hmm, I can't remember what Günter's proposal was,
> but I do
> >> have a
> >> vague idea of how to do it cleanly.  I think it
> should
> >> be similar to
> >> the way its done in Max/MSP.  Basically there is
> >> standard function,
> >> something like nlet_info(), which returns the
> tooltip
> >> info.
> >
> >Where would one define the standard function?
> >

> >> Pd would
> >> then check whether an object had that function
> when it
> >> loaded the
> >> binary, and if so register it in the tooltips.
> >
> >This brings up an issue I've been wondering about since
> learning a
> >little more about the canvas editor: why does the pd
> gui send 'motion'
> >messages to pd?  Why not, for example, just have a
> tag for an inlet
> >rectangle and bind <Enter> and <Leave> to
> it?  Then you'd only be
> >sending messages from the gui for the events you care
> about, instead of
> >tons of "motion" messages that don't trigger anything.
>
> I may be way off the mark here, if I  recall correctly
> I think that info is used for dragging stuff and similar
> actions.

Yes, it is, but I was just thinking that extending a wire from an outlet, which sends a message to pd every mouse motion and walks through the objects in the glist to see if it hit a box, could be simplified if you just handled it on the gui end.  Then only send a message if the wire connection is successful, or if there is a disconnection.

But I guess you'd still have to send a message every pixel you drag an object in editmode anyway.