[PD] OSX and pd-extended 0.43.1

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jul 12 19:27:32 CEST 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:41 +0200, "IOhannes m zmoelnig" <zmoelnig at iem.at>
>> btw, wouldn't "%p" be the correct way to print a pointer? or are there
>> some compat issues with that (e.g. non-POSIX)
> All I know is that the rest of the Pd code uses .x%lx.

At the dev meeting in Graz in 2004, I was asked for a portable replacement
for .x%lx, and I spontaneously said %p, but it turned out to be wrong,
because on Linux/OSX, it doesn't print it exactly as .x%lx in 32-bit mode,
because it prepends "0x"... and then I later realised that on Windows, it
does something even more different.

In any case, any change from ".x%lx" to something else will cause a
problem of backwards-compat AND forwards-compat across versions of Pd,
which will need not only a recompilation but also a global
search-and-replace (one that can't be done by sed). This is because
sys_vgui is too low level, causing its users to need to copy-paste ".x%lx"
all over the place.

This is why the Win64 pointer bug can't be fixed.