[PD] i lost my credibility

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jul 13 17:40:59 CEST 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Charles Goyard wrote:

> Hi Cyrille,
>
> désolé pour toi, c'est super vexant ce genre de crash.
>
> cyrille henry wrote:
>> did anyone ever experience a slow down due to ubuntu automatic script
>> that should run on the background?
>> how to easily disable them? (cron?)
>
> You could set up a runlevel for performance, that runs only the
> necessary daemons : udev, jack, dbus. No
> syslog/ssh/avahi/cron/at/cups/acpid/ftp/networkmanager/bluez/
> whatever...
> Also you can run a minimalistic X session, with
> screensaver/dpms/screnblanking disabled and a lightweight window
> manager.

Wow, that's a great idea!  Put those unused init runlevels to work!
With Debian/Ubuntu runlevel 2 is normal, and 3-5 are unused or really
just the same as 2.  On other distros, I guess its different.  Put
update-rc.d to work!  I wonder if we could make a package or script
that configured the performance runlevel?

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute.
  - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs